View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Earlier today I got a phone call from someone who bought some autographs from an auction house that we have already discussed here. (not a real sports auction house, but a fringe auctioneer).
He tells me that after he bought them and before he paid he sent scans to Global who would not render an opinion. He said that, I don't know if that really happened.
The guy, all of a sudden, was worried that he bought bad stuff and asked the auctioneer to let him out of his bids. The auctioneer said that according to state law the buyer was responsible for payment even in the event that bogus material was sold.
He said he bought a Ruth signed ball for $850. Yeah, $850,not eight thousand.
Once he said that I just lost it. I chided him for deciding to check out the stuff AFTER the auction had ended. "Well, my partner called me and told me we could buy some stuff cheaply," was his answer.
"What should I do now?" he asks.
What am I supposed to tell him. That he is a schmuck? I wanted to but I did not.
I told him to speak to a lawyer and he asked me if he paid for them and sent them to me and I rejected them would that be enough to get his money back. How am I supposed to answer that question?
Man, sometimes I just get fed up, you know?
The guy and his partner were apparently not collectors, just fast buck artists, trying to cash in on cheap auction prices, when the entire country is full of smart, on the lookout, people who would never let a legit Ruth ball go for $850. But they thought that they were smarter than everyone else.
Which brings me back to the "net54 PAC". Millions of people buy stuff for resale. (I do it a lot. American Pickers INFURIATES me when they buy ONE item out of a box of NOS vintage collectibles ). A tiny percentage are true autograph dealers. We can be of service to many by bringing the heat on a larger scale.