View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Gibson and Carlton are remarkably close stats wise, but I can see Carlton being considered slightly better. Longevity didn't help Carlton, it hurt him, bad, at least as far as his legacy carrying a tag of hanger-on. If you just look at his stats through 17 seasons--the number of seasons Gibson pitched--Carlton's numbers are slightly better. He has a few more wins and Ks than Gibson during that time, and his ERA is comparable but slightly higher (I think 2.99 -2.91). Throw in the fact that Carlton lost 1/3 of a great season to a labor strike and that Gibson pitched half his career with a pitcher-benefiting higher mound (Carlton had use of that only one full season) and I think a case can be made that Lefty was the better pitcher. Not by much though, and I wouldn't strongly oppose the counterargument.
My point was that overall I don't think it is cut and dry who was superior to the other. Yet when you compare the two together in the only full on comparison of being on the same team it shows that Gibson was the better player... the problem even with that is that Gibson's best year is mixed in that and Carlton's comes after going to Philly.

If you look at them overall as a value to the Team. I think Gibson may edge out Carlton. Any list of 20 top hitting pitchers would have Gibson on it.

Even then, though, I can't say that one is superior over the other. I think it is too close to call one superior. They were both great neither one deserves to be considered better than the other in my view. Their stats are so close. Neither one just dominates over the other.