View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Yankees View Post
ebay is a joke lets go back to card shows, where we dont need to pay awful fees and we get some protection and our money right away
Not to slam card shows because there are other qualities about them besides just the instant buying gratification.

That said.

Card shows do have fees. The dealer pays to set up. I haven't set up in the last several years, but when I stopped it was because several dealers were lucky to break even. Even recently I did help at a table. The only person who left with money was my father who sold off all his stuff at deep discounts just to clean his basement.

Buyers are paying fees to get in to the show. They also, in a lot of cases, are also paying for food at the shows. So there are fees involved.

As far as protection, I know many people who have had merchandise stolen from their booths at their table, bad checks have been used, and credit card reversals from stolen credit cards. On the buyer side there are several dealers that are selling altered cards and forged autographs at shows.

Also at shows it seems to be the same dealers and same buyers recycled over and over again. Ebay allows non dealers to sometimes get a deal on cards from non collectors. The only other chance people have at buying from non collectors that were given a collection is owning a shop are being reputable and being contacted. Those people don't show up at shows too often with a table to buy from.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 06-01-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling