View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I got rid of all my modern cards about a year and a half ago, traded most for a Mantle RC and sold the rest. I have never regretted the decision, however here are a few of my observations on the negative side. (For me, the positive outweighs these negatives)

1. I can no longer hold my own in a conversation with my prospecting friends

2. Opening a pack/box of cards has no appeal, and I do miss the appeal of
opening the occasional box/pack

3. Card shows are very different. The number of deals you make, the number of
cards you see that you want and can also afford/trade for is greatly
decreased. It's far more difficult to trade with vintage dealers (IMO) than
modern dealers. I've found shows to be very different as a vintage collector
Hi Trey,

Whatever I end up doing with my modern collection, I'll still keep up with prospecting. It's part of the game I enjoy. I love watching minor league games whenever I get a chance on MILB.com. The Frisco RoughRiders, the Class AA team for the Texas Rangers, are only about a 15 minute drive from where I live. With my leg doing better, I might be able to attend a game soon provided one of my buddies will drive. Plus, I plan on still investing in some Chrome prospect autos for resale. I've developed a pretty good feel for it, and if I can buy some, and make a modest profit, that's more I can invest in my pre-war and vintage collection! Win win!!

And as far as card shows go, I hope to be able to start attending some of them, too. I know Rich does vintage shows in Plano. I'd love to meet some of my fellow Net54 members in person, and take a look at some of the beautiful cards I see online in person for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
It sounds like you're really attached, Bill, regardless of future value. If that's the case, keep them--I still regret auctioning off my Exhibit Gehrig rookie, M101 Sisler rookie, '34 Goudey PSA 8 Greenburg, '38 Goudey PSA 7 DiMaggio, and '59 Bazooka SGC NMT Mantle a few years ago, even though it was financially necessary at that time (not to mention my very first Corvette, a white '73 454 that I purchased shortly after graduating from law school). Joy doesn't have to make the best financial sense!

Highest regards,

Larry
Good evening, Larry,

I really do love these cards. Each represents a happy memory. I usually buy a prospect card after watching a minor league game, or after doing some research. Others, still, I've acquired after nice discussions with friends of mine on other forums. The cards themselves are beautiful. They don't have the same kind of charm that a pre-1900s card, or a '34 Goudey card have, but they're incredible in their own way. I'll be uploading my collection to the photo gallery here pretty soon.

I'm leaning towards keeping them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgarza99 View Post
Bill,
Those are some nice cards, but picture them next to a PSA 4 or 5 T206 Johnson portrait.

Good luck. You will find the right path for you!
Hello, Luis. I picked up my Walter Johnson portrait a few days ago. It's on the May pick up thread. It's a real beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
That's awesome Bill!

Im ready to supply my address at a moments notice.
Hi Rich. I bought that card two days after it went on sale for the first time. He's turned out to be a hell of a pitcher, hasn't he? Let's hope he stays healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Hey Bill, I know our situations are not the same, but here goes:
I started collecting cards in 1965. Years later I decided to collect that set again, along with T206s. I've nearly completed re-creating that first set. I know that if I sold it I could buy another Uzit, or upgrade a Cobb, but that old set means too much to me to get rid of it.
When I look at them I can still remember opening packs, hoping for a Mays, Mantle or Koufax. And somehow every pack seemed to contain another Gary Bell.

Anyway, if you get the same enjoyment from your modern cards, I recommend keeping them. But if it's about money, sell them and get a nice Ruth or whatever.

And let us know what you decide.
Hi, Sean. You know, for just a little while, I was leaning towards selling them. The thought of knocking a few cards off of my long term want list sounded really great, but then I'd miss the cards that represent the period during which I came back to the hobby.

I really don't have any need to sell them. I understand that a good deal of these will go down in value, but that's ok with me. I'll get the older cards I want. It just takes discipline on my part. And in the mean time, I'll get to enjoy these incredible cards.

As I mentioned a little earlier, I'm going to scan them, and upload them here. I'd like to share my collection with the members here. It's definitely quite different than everybody else's, and it will be for a while as I build my pre-war and vintage collection. But I think people will appreciate what I've been doing once they see them.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.