View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Todd Schultz

Really cool. I wonder though if the set isn't really from 1965. Here is a newspaper clipping from The High Point Enterprise Mon Jul 5 1965:

Another article from the same week said that this was the second year for a Chamber of Commerce Night, meaning I suppose the decals/stickers could have been issued in 1964 also, but it seems like this describes what you have shown, and would tell us the max number made was 4000, which I assume includes multiple teams.

EDITED TO ADD: I reviewed the articles more closely, and they do not mention a prior Chamber of Commerce Night; rather, the references to a second such night were made because the original game was rained out and played the following day, July 6, 1965, as part of a doubleheader. So I cannot confirm there was any such game in 1964, and it looks like the decals/stickers were handed out July 6, 1965-- perhaps also on the 5th if the crowd was allowed in before the game was called.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-22-2024 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Updated info