Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post

Bill Barilko, April 21, 1951, 36" x 52"

This was commissioned by a board member a LONG time ago. Like, I'm embarrassed to say how long ago. But it was my first venture into the world of hockey. And though it was a blast to paint, it was also HARD. I neglected to realize how much closer spectators are to the ice and players than they are in the world of baseball - there are a LOT of faces in there.

Also, the general lighting scheme (dealing with flash photography) and the reflections on the ice proved to be a nightmare. But I'm very pleased with how it came out. I'm hoping that the fella who commissioned it absolutely loves the thing - lord knows he's waited long enough for it!

The moment is Bill Barilko's Stanley Cup winning goal from 1951, with the Leafs triumphing over Montreal in overtime of the 7th game. For those who don't know, Barilko would die in a plane crash only a few months later. Interestingly enough, Toronto failed to win another cup in the 1950s, and wouldn't do so until two months before the wreckage of the plane was found in 1962.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Holy smokes! This is my first chance to see this thread (as I never venture to the memorabilia side) and I am blown away! The hockey scene is absolutely amazing, and I'm a baseball guy through and through!

I just spent about two hours going through this thread...and my jaw is still glued to the floor. What great eye candy! Thanks for sharing your amazing work with us!
Makes it all that more special knowing what Graig had to endure painting that one!
I just saw it recently too, and like you, I was blown away even more (which I didn't think was possible?) by it that I have been with some others!

Truly one of the best artists/painters of our time, bar none!