View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

The shipping through Ebay worked well for me. A slight discount, plus delivery confirmation either free for priority or at the time 19 cents for first class packages. I just printed it out on paper and taped it to the envelope or box leaving the bar code untaped.

It was limited for available services, but most small stuff shipped first class package anyway. Most stuff ended up in the same weight class so I didn't have to do much weighing.

One drawback was shipping small prints or photos. Delivery confirmation can only be had on packages over 3/4 of an inch thick. But first class became a package at 1/4 inch. With cards I packed them with enough stiffeners that a styrofoam peanut in the bubble envelope got it to 3/4. But the print I shipped got kicked back as being too thin.

Maybe they have changed that. At the time it was really annoying. As I was discussing the returned package with the postmaster the clerk a few feet away was trying to upsell to delivery confirmation 4ft away on a very thin envelope. A loud "ahem" and pinting finger made my point. Oddly the person who wrote up the return wrote it as "delivery confirmation only available on priority". And charged me postage due at a rate that hadn't been current for over a year. He apparently got in trouble for that.

Other than that it was great, If I got stuff packed early enough I could just leave it out for the postman, and even though I always waited in line the clerks said that with printed postage I could just leave it on the counter and let them know.

Steve B