View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Most certainly!

The most disruptive instance of this has to be in the football world. HOFer Bert Bell's autograph used to be quite sought after. His son later started selling checks. It turned out that the family had so many that they could now be used as football-themed wallpaper! It's difficult to imagine a time when Bell's autograph wasn't common.

Then, you have the Bizarro version of the story: one of the rarest HOF checks is none other than Bob Feller! For a man who would sign and sell his firstborn if there was a crisp Abe Lincoln in it for him, he stubbornly refused to part with a single check! This clearly had to be due to security concerns, or else we'd have seen thousands on the market.
BillyCox3 is definitely correct as you never see Bob Feller signed checks.
I collect the checks of no-hitter pitchers and this is the one out of my personal collection that I picked up 5-6 years ago. One thing that is especially cool about this Feller check is that he signed it twice!
Apparently Rapid Robert only wrote personal checks for a brief period of time following his divorce from his 1st wife. During this period of time he lived and worked at the Sheraton-Cleveland Hotel.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-02-2019 at 03:57 AM.