View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Default Ruth, Gherig, Dean, Dean, and Pepper Martin signed ball...

Posted By: jamie

from PSA/DNA's website

"Most of the Babe Ruth Home Run Special baseballs were not actually signed by the Babe himself so the chance of your ball being authentic is severely diminished. Those baseballs were given away as part of a promotion with many of them containing facsimile or mass printed signatures. In fact, they bare little resemblance to Ruth’s actual signature (you would think they would do a better job, oh well). On the other hand, I have seen these baseballs with real Ruth autographs on them but, of the one’s I have seen, the authentic Ruth autograph was added to the ball. In other words, the balls contained one facsimile and one real signature, two in total. If the signature was real and the condition is being described accurately, the ball could be worth in the $10,000 plus range. "

If you hope to realize full value of the ball you'll really have to get it authenticated by PSA/DNA (though I know some members opinions of them is rather low, they really are the best out there) or consign it to a major auction house like Mastronet who can do the authentication for you and give the ball the buying audience it deserves.