View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

I think there's a lot of validity to what David just said. Though PSA can certainly be noble in their causes, it is indeed a business first (as are most ventures in this hobby), and I don't think they would have signed on if they didn't think it could be profitable. And, I feel like in the end, the money does have to be in the mix to an extent.

I'm sure PSA wants to be the best at what they do in the hobby. With that in mind, I'm sure that Marshall and Yee will be responsible for adding a lot of legitimacy to the photo collecting through this venture. What's interesting is that it seems to me like the whole slabbing thing is more about educating people about what they're buying than it is making a buck. Most of the photo collectors I know are much more into the idea of bringing interest into their corner of the hobby for educational reasons, rather than financial. I'm sure in the end, there has to be a balance of noble causes and financial goals, but I guess the $60,000 question is, "when does it end?"

About six months ago, I heard from a collector of really high-end memorabilia that he was approached with the idea of slabbing and authenticating paintings. I don't know which company this was, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it was PSA. If that was indeed true, it's bound to raise the same questions. As an artist, I would be appalled by that idea. But at the same time, maybe it would open my work up to a larger audience, and legitimize it for people I never could have reached otherwise.

Take this all with a grain of salt - just thought I'd give my two cents.

Graig