View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I'm going to give an un-PC answer, but what is my personal belief. I think it is more likely that either TPG (SGC or PSA) will slab a trimmed card if the value isn't worth much (i.e., submitted at a lower service level). I personally think at lower service levels, graders zip through the cards faster, and therefore some cards get missed. At higher service levels, graders are a lot more cautious, and will move the benefit of the doubt to trimmed. For example, for the attached Cracker Jack Joe Jackson, why is this card Authentic with the Unaltered comment? If a card isn't altered, if if it doesn't meet Minimum Size Requirements, shouldn't it get a number grade, a la diamond cut cards. More to the point, have you ever seen an Unaltered comment on the flip for a card with a value under $500? Again, I think PSA would slab this card as Authentic also because of minimum size requirement even if they didn't detect any trimming.
I don't know if they'd have added unaltered, but my two rejected cards from SGC could both have qualified - One min size, the other "miscut" very rough cut, but still factory and within the size. I checked off to have rejects not slabbed since I know none were trimmed or altered.

I haven't sent any in to PSA, and only about 15 to SGC. I do see a lot of variance in the mid grades, even in my small sampling. One I think was given a grade too high, another 3-4 I thought were undergraded, one by quite a bit.

Steve B