View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Just my take

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I've been getting lots of offers lately, on stuff I DON'T have "Best Offer" on.

Auctions AND Buy It Nows.

I usually politely decline, but it does get annoying sometimes and I don't always respond.

I understand if you put "Best Offer" in your listings you should respond, or at least set a ceiling to automatically decline an offer.

What's the etiquette for responding when you're NOT trolling for lower offers?
I have been encountering the same situation. Almost all of my eBay sales are on simple "buy it now" transactions. However, I do get offers frequently. My policy is to always respond to the offers in a timely fashion, even if they are unsolicited. Sometimes I will even send the buyer a counter offer and we will make a deal. I don't think that I am obligated to respond in this case, but I do because to me it makes good business sense to be polite to all potential customers. Maybe the buyer is being unreasonable with this offer, but that doesn't mean that we won't connect on another item in the future.

The same is true with inquiries on the BST. It doesn't hurt to be polite and respond to PMs, even when you see that you are not going to make a deal. I know that it is difficult sometimes when a buyer is telling you that your item is not worth your asking price. It is also hard to be polite when we are busy, or stressed out. I certainly am not perfect in my correspondence with customers, but overall, I believe that successful sales is all about building relationships.

Best regards,

Joe