View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default scanning graded cards

Posted By: Anonymous

Found this possible explanation on the web (http://www.scantips.com/chap3c.html):

"The "compact" and "ultra thin" scanners use a very different CIS chip (Contact Image Sensor). These CIS units are small and inexpensive, having no optical system (no lens, mirrors, lamp, and no A/D chip). CIS chips often have LED light sources integrated in the chip with the sensor. The CIS sensors are full size, extending over the full bed width. They work by simply being extremely near the paper being scanned (as "in contact"). This means that there is zero depth of field above the scanner glass, anything not touching the glass is too distant to be sharp, making CIS unsuitable for scanning 3D objects. CIS is also used in sheet-feed scanners and fax machines where depth is not a factor."

I started having the same type problem this past fall when I traded in my old, bulky, and slow scanner for a nice, thinner, USB version. I like my new scanner but cannot get the slabs to scan at anywhere near the quality I use to. However, I am not willing to go back to the old scanner because it would take forever to scan a page worth of stuff and it had some software issues.

Adam