View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Larry

I collect stars and hall-of-famers, which gives me a lot of freedom to go after what I like, rather than being a slave to finishing this or that set, but that's just personal choice. Since I go after true rookies when I can, I also prefer them graded, generally due to the extra $$$ involved.

Also agree with the importance of eye appeal--cards that are pre-war can be very nice cards and far from near mint or better. Often times, an ex-graded card may be the best available for a really tough issue. With some, even that might not be possible (or might take a long, long time to acquire), as was the case with my 1947 Tip Top Bread Warren Spahn. This is a short print from a relatively rare set to begin with, and I had to settle for a PSA 1 (Mk). I almost passed on that one due to condition, until I checked the pop report and saw that a PSA one was the highest of any of the mere six examples it had graded.

But while the grades may be the same for different examples of the same card, the one with significantly better eye appeal will sell easier and for more $$ virtually every time.

There's a lot to enjoy here, whatever your focus. Best of luck in your hobby pursuits,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.