View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
I don't think so - some of that wear is post inscription. Not that it really matters either way. There is hole right between the A and R in "Stars" that clearly was put there post inscription. Again, doesn't matter, I just found that interesting.
In years past, baseballs were often hung, dangling on a string. That's why you would occasionally see old balls with a hole, or even staples in them. I've got a book with a picture of an old Pittsburgh Pirate announcer Rosey Rowswell with his "collection" of hanging baseballs. There were eBay auctions for quite a few of them last year. I was lucky enough to get one with a rusted staple.

It's period to the practice. Baseballs were also used/re-purposed by kids.
I really imagine that it would be difficult to just go and buy a ball when you don't have the means.

There's no conceivable way to prove those players actually interacted with that particular ball. That being said, the fascination that exists because they may have, only makes this ball that much more of a treasure. The ball breathed the same air, let's say.

Either way, its an exciting ball to still have existed all these years, with even more of a historical presence. "So, you're telling me there is a chance?" ?
I think Crocodile Dundee would say better than average. Awesome ball.

Witster