View Single Post
Old 03-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default what's so special about this card-part 2 (non-vintage)

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

I find the whole set registry thing quite interesting, and your post informative. One observation, however; the $400 common you linked was for hi-number Joe Gibbon, which is one of the four most difficult (in my opinion--I've not examined the pop report) cards in that series, along with Gentile, Cerv, and Sheldon. I can see paying extra for that card.

One thing I like about the registry is that I can see what cards certain collectors are either lacking or have not yet graded. Heck, I'll look closely at my Allison and other '61s and have the top ones graded. It's by far my favorite set, but if can get $300+ on commons, I finally will have found away to drum up some cash for vintage.

About your Dale Mitchell card, I am curious as to why it is so difficult in high grade. Because it's a high number, I expect it is more difficult period than other commons. But is it gerally found off-center, rough cut, out of register or what? If none, what explains why a particular common would be not be randomly encountered in high grade as frequently as another common?
Regards>>>>>>>>>>Todd