View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Default How Would You Change The Hobby

Posted By: Steve

The information is available already, just need to reel it in to one central authority ie; LOC.GOV has many beautiful hi-res scans of authentic examples.

The grading companies (all of them) would need to set national standards. Probably don't need to start from scratch. I've heard the coin hobby would provide a framework to get going.

Getting others involved is the key to sustaining this expensive hobby. With all the scams in the news, people fear being duped and they should. I watch tons of money being wasted every time I log in to ebaY. Oh, just a small fraction are shills as I've received many replies from buyers of Cobbs, Ruths, Gehrigs etc. seeking advice on how to get their money back. Sadly, a lot of these buyers will not be returning to vintage cards.

When I show 'civilians' a prewar card some ask, "Are you SURE it's real?". Of course I have to explain Grading and that good detection is always needed -even when purchasing slabbed cards. I've shown some comparison scans and surprisingly, they enjoy 'solving the puzzle'.

I think the real deterrant to picking cards as a hobby; Supply direction on detecting counterfeits/reprints. Stressing the notion that, yes gullible thousands are duped each year, but many more are discovering rare and valuable treasures through knowledge and patience.

Who do we elect to preside the Third Continental Congress