View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Solve a mystery... Two Davidsons one Photo...

Hello,

I'll try to make this short. I collect T-cards of players of Indiana. The majority of my checklist resides in the t206 set, but I have branched out. Because many of the players in my Indiana set played in the majors there is ample or at least satisfactory biographical information about them.

One of the players from t206 that has stymied my research is Paul Davidson of Indianapolis, American Association. Baseball reference has his partial minor league stats, but no biographical info. During my research I came across the M116 Sporting Life Bill Davidson of Brooklyn card. It features the same photo as the Paul Davidson T206. Baseball reference says that Bill Davidson was born in Lafayette, IN and was drafted out of the Western League Lincoln team in 1909 by the Cubs. That same year Paul Davidson played for the Omaha team of the Western League. Bill Davidson was traded to Brooklyn in 1910, Paul Davidson played 98 games for Rock Island of the Three-I league in 1910. Bill Davidson had his final year in the majors playing 74 games for Brooklyn in 1911. Paul Davidson played for 3 minor league teams in 1911, finishing his career that year back in the three-I league with Rock Island and Dubuque...

There appear to be coincidences in their listed careers, where they played, etc... There is no major league statistic referencing Paul Davidson and their is no Minor League stat line for Bill Davidson.

Long-story-short....

Are Paul Davidson and Bill Davidson the same person? If not, than one of the cards has the wrong photo, either the t-206 or the m-116. Which one is the correct photo? Anyway, been racking my brain over this one and thought I would offer it up to those more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

I offer up two scans of the two cards and links to their baseball reference pages as evidence. I look forward to any help on the subject.

Cheers,

Jim

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=davids001pau

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...avidbi01.shtml
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davidson.jpg (22.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg davidson2.jpg (31.3 KB, 225 views)