View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Defense is not half the game. PITCHING is half the game. Defense makes some difference, but to suggest it is as important as hitting reflects, in my opinion, a significant misperception. You can't tell me the difference between Belanger and an average shortstop is the same as the difference between Ruth and an average player, in terms of impact.
As a former pitcher at every level except professional, my experience taught me that only strikeouts, walks, HBPs, and wild pitchers are included in pitching...FAR less than 50% without those fielding the results of the all the other pitches - which amount to at least 2/3 of outs by almost every pitcher who ever lived. The only way I survived after my first shoulder injury was by learning to 'pitch' (as apposed to 'throwing' when my speed was enough to get me by) and depend on my teammates.

Even hitting is not fully 50% of the game. With base-running included, hitting makes up 50% of the game - called offense.

The other fifty-percent can, in truth be labeled defense includes pitching as it is in direct competition with the offense. IM(fairly experienced)O

Oh, you can disagree if you like as long as you understand that you are wrong.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente