View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Mark

Hey Guys,

Great photos Jeff. That is a fantastic yearbook. Along those lines I recently picked up this pretty cool album. This is a Pach Bros photo album of a Yale student, who went to school there from 1882-86. The first photo in the album was of his dorm room (see below). I’ve also included a zoomed in portion of the picture to show some of his sports photos on display back in 1886.

What followed next nearly blew my mind. This student trimmed (and thinned) the cardboard on all his sports photos in this picture (along with a dozen others) and slid them into his album. All four years of Yale athletic photos are included, along with the freshman teams for each sport. The slight indentation from the hanging clips are still visible on the photos today. The album contained 60+ 7x9 cabinet photos. Unfortunately the album itself was in awful shape, so I had to remove the photos. For those unfamiliar with these older Pach Bros albums, the cabinet photos slide in/out through slots on the bottom of each page.

For the sake of space and time, I’ve posted just the football photos. The 1882 Yale Championship team is the highlight, featuring Walter Camp. Yale also won the football championship in 1883 and 1884.

Thought some of you may enjoy the pics and the documented provenance of these early football photos.

Cheers

Mark

1882 Yale Championship Football Team.

1883 Yale Championship Football Team

1884 Yale Championship Football Team

1885 Yale Football Team

Class of 1886 Freshman Yale Football Team.

Last edited by cfhofer; 06-27-2018 at 07:31 AM.