View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Default Derek Grady's /SGC response to Dell Football

Posted By: leon

I had a concern about the thread concerning the Dell Football "poster" that was cut up and graded so I emailed Derek Grady, senior grader with SGC, last night. We just had a nice conversation about their thinking on the subject. He said that the Krause book lists them as "This 48 player set" and this is the reason they were done. Period. I can vouch for the way they grade, with book in hand, as ya'll might remember an article I wrote 2 years ago about grading cards from sets that were previously ungraded. (any card from that set)...I wrote it for the 19thcenturyonly site. When I wrote that article I remember thinking to myself that the first thing SGC did was look in the well respected SCD for info. They obviously did the same thing with these. Here is the solution to this. After further review Derek/SGC is NOT GOING TO GRADE THESE FOOTBALL "CARDS" anymore. He said that they have graded approximately 20 and no more will be done. Their integrity being questioned is not worth any amount of money that they could make on grading. He still is not positive what constititutes a "card" as all of us agree there is no definitive definition. There are only intelligent observations concerning this. With all of that being said I, and Derek, still feel there are far fewer "problem cards" in SGC holders than any others. I agree with that statement. Once again SGC has made the right decision based on the facts at hand.....best regards all......
ps....the reason Derek will not post on this website is because it will inevitably open a can of worms that he doesn't feel like doing....and I respect his wishes on that too...