View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay auction ending times

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I have given this a lot of thought as well.

With snipe services being used as much as they are these days, I don't think ending an auction at 4:00 in the morning is going to really hurt at all... as long as the auction has been running for 7-10 days and everyone has had time to set their snipers.

In fact, I think it would ATTRACT more snipers because they would think that they might get a bargain at that time of night with some people sleeping.

BUT... I think the major auction houses are PROOF that you should NEVER have all of your items ending at the same time.

If you had 20 E107's for sale... I might LOSE OUT on the first 10 and then would have MORE MONEY to spend at the very end of the last 10 auctions.

There is NO WAY that I could set 20 "high limit" snipes... for fear that I might win them all and be forced to come up with a ton of cash.

Thus, I think a 10-minute window in between ending times on the cards is sufficient to give people time to see that their snipe did NOT win the first auction...

so they can ADJUST and INCREASE their snipes for the remaining items.

This is why Mastro stays open when only ONE item is still getting bids. They want the LOSER of the $210,000 Babe Ruth card to still be able to spend his $200,000 on OTHER things in the auction!!!