View Single Post
Old 04-20-2023, 01:53 PM

My initial response would be yes, but it's a qualified yes. If the item is a well-known and in-demand $75K card, it probably doesn't matter how and where it's listed, as long as the pertinent info is listed and it's not buried in a section of the catalog that has material that is obviously of much lower worth or interest.

Now, what your post really got me thinking about though (and it's not my intention to hijack this thread), is whether it is justified to charge a fixed consignment percentage, when it's not always guaranteed how much your piece will be promoted, or in some cases, even how accurate your piece may be advertised.

I get ticked when I know I would be paying the same (or too close to the same) consignment percentage for a $5,000 item as i would for a $1500 or even a $500 item, when the same amount of work would be expended and the same amount of promotion done by the AH. That amounts to $750 for the $5000 item vs $75 for the $500 for the same amount of effort. I know that AH's will often work with consigners and depending on the piece or volume of pieces consigned, fees may be lower than for someone submitting one moderately-priced item, but if there were more of a fixed price or tiered system for consignment fees, I would definitely sell more items at AH's.