View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
For spending money for cards when I was a kid I used to pick up pop bottles from ditches and cash them in at the local store in South Vancouver. The owners got to know me quite well,and I also shovelled snow from the front of their store for fifty cents. They knew I was going to buy cards or Sgt. Fury comics in their store right after they paid me. Smart. They also gave me the key to their pop machine to get the CFL caps in 1965. The pop machine was a slider, so if you were buying a Coke or a Sprite, you could see who was on the cap, and with careful manipulation of the botles in the sliders, you could always get the one you wanted. I know I put together at least four sets (230 in a set) and still have a couple of large bags of leftovers........yeah, I'm a packrat. Love those caps though....thanks for bringing back the memories!

Grant
You must be a bit older than me Grant, but I remember looking for the pop bottles in alleys and ditches to get that 2 cents per bottle! Then using that money for cards, candy, or cokes. I remember these bottle caps, but could never hope to get more than a couple. I remember my neighbor though having a large collection of these (only child, his dad spoiled him). Wish I could have gotten more back then!