View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM

I have yet to be able to pinpoint the exact year that Mrs. Faber started "assisting" Red with the requests, but it would have been sometime in the mid-late 1960's (the last decade of his life). Surprisingly little through-the-mail material seems to exist which dates from Faber's immediate post-career all the way into the late 1950's. Most Faber material that I've encountered dates from either his playing days or the era when Mrs. Faber signed the majority of the time. An authentic Faber gold HOF plaque PC is tougher than the much-storied Dave Bancroft. Bancroft plaques shouldn't fetch the prices they do, whereas a genuine Faber should sell for far more. I've only encountered 7-10 authentic Faber plaques versus 2.5-3 times as many Bancrofts. More of each continue to turn up, but Bancroft always outweighs Faber. Over the past five years I have seen perhaps 10-12 new Bancrofts. Compare that to perhaps four Fabers. Let's hope that the hobby comes around to seeing these items for the investment pieces they truly are.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-22-2010 at 08:10 AM.