View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 AM
Mike Dugan

Dan- I have a 1931 College of the Ozarks at Arkansas and have 17 others from the 1930's. I have a great friend in Little Rock who has a 1912 Arkansas at Washington (St. Louis) shaped like a football and a hand full of one-sheet programs from the 1918-30 period.

The programs from schools that were small like Arkansas during the pre-1940 era are fairly scarce opposed to programs from some of the larger schools around the country. Attendance at Arkansas games rarely exceeded 10,000 in that early period and was much less pre-30.

The strength and popularity of the Ivy League schools is apparent in the amount of programs from the pre-40 period that are available on eBay. Same goes for the the larger west coast schools and what was then the Big Nine.

I seldom see any pre-40 much less pre-30 programs from the southern schools, even the current SEC members. One of my prized programs is a 1929 Henderson State at Centenary in Shreveport with Cal Hubbard playing for the Gents. I love finding the programs from not only Arkansas but the smaller schools around the state like Henderson and Ouachita Baptist. I was SID at Henderson for many years and a played a year at Arkansas Tech, well didn't really play but was on the team!