View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default 1979; that important year

Posted By: Rich Klein

Some of the hobby highlights of 1979:

1) Frank and Vivian Barning Begin Publishing Baseball Hobby News. Many of you have read these old papers; and if you do; you are aware of just how advanced journalistically they were compared to anyone else printing in the hobby at that time.

2) CPU Begins Publishing: For Better or for worse; CPU became our 1st monthly hobby pricing publication and added to the growth of the hobby.

3) Dr. Jim Beckett along with the late Denny Eckes publish both the 1st Sports Americana Baseball Guide and Football Guide. There is little doubt just how important the Beckett Brand has become

4) The plans for the 1st National Convention were announced.

5) In an un-related note -- I did my 1st card show that year at the old beloved Montclair State College location happy.gif

In all seriousness, 1979 was a year in the hobby much like 1968 was politically. Couple of questions --

1) Was there ever another year with as many important hobby developements (sans #5) and if you were around in 1979; what do you remember about that year as a hobbyist

Regards
Rich

Edited to fix a word I did not mean to type AND then to put my name back on this thread

And then edited to add a word that needed to be there. I feel like David Rudd now happy.gif

happy.gif