View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default 1979; that important year

Posted By: boxingcardman

I was 14 that summer. Rack packs at the monthly West Coast Card Club shows in Northridge. Kind of a rerun design from 1976. Never could seem to find that Schmidt centered no matter how many I cracked. I was taking a table most months selling and buying mostly 1950s-1960s cards from large groups I'd been given by family friends.

My then favorite player Thurman Munson died. I remember going into the bathroom at my house for a quiet cry and saving the newspaper clippings of his funeral and tributes.

I used to get my parents to take me to the Labor Day show and the Thanksgiving show. And I too would save for months for it.

The most fun for me was getting boxes of old cards from people and sifting through them for buried treasures. I must have gotten several different boxes of cards from friends and family members. My late aunt found a shoebox full of old cards in an antique store and sent it to me. A family friend with three grown boys handed me a giant packing box full of cards; the greatest sorting party of my life that night.

Has it really been 30 years?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc