View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sort of reminds me.....

This sort of reminds me of the little old lady that found the 1869 Peck and Snyder and was subsequently on The Tonight Show and many other media venues with it. That card sold in Memory Lane for around 75k. It's not a 75k card (and wasn't then). About a few days later I got a call from the person who bought it, the gentleman that owns Tri-Star, whom I have met a few times. I guess he Googled the card and found mine on my website and since we knew each other a little bit, gave me the call. I told him I thought it was a neat card and I like mine a lot but it really wasn't quite as valuable as what he paid for it. He said he would get 2x the price of it back in advertising. I think several months after that he consigned it to another auction house and it did only bring about 40k-50k, if I remember correctly. So the bottom line is that some of these very high profile cards come with benefits that have nothing to do with the actual value of the card itself.

I have no issue with anyone spending their money the way they want to. I just hope they don't think the 100k+ card is going to rise a whole lot in value. Historically that has not been the case.

And one last thing. I firmly believe that any GOOD publicity for any baseball card collecting is GOOD for ALL of us. So kudos for the whole spectacle, in that respect .

regards