View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyJoe View Post
+1

For me, it's all the various "rare" Jeter cards printed in the 90's that makes these prices a bit silly. Like the '93 SP Foil Jeter card, for example. Didn't a PSA 10 sell for $99,000 last year? And there are 22 of them graded 10 by PSA .... oh, and not to mention, there have been 253 graded 9.5 by BGS!!!

How about the ones that haven't been graded yet? Maybe a dozen more PSA 10's? Perhaps some BGS Black Labels yet to be graded?
I started a thread in May 2018 about the Jeter 93 SP PSA 10 that sold for nearly $100k, and part of what I noted was how I expected more of them to be graded, diluting the PSA 10 population. The population at the time was 22, and it still is. So much for that hypothesis.

I'll echo the sentiments that it is a great hobby because people can enjoy it in many different ways, and that a healthy and robust modern market is likely a good sign for the vintage market as well.

And it's also great that both the modern and vintage collectors can each salivate over a card with a significant level of scarcity of a sure-fire HOF shortstop who is strongly associated with a single team that sells for six figures and it's not even a rookie card - and all the while those collectors are ogling different cards from different eras.