View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Frank,

There was also a check on your website made out to Babe Ruth and endorsed on the back by him. This check was drawn on the Bank of Manhattan Company. The check was from a Louise B......

Do not waste your money sending that check to JSA either. Spence did certify one of those last year as genuine and the seller put it on eBay with the JSA letter. Apparently, someone contacted Spence after the auction was listed. Spence then contacted the seller and stated he was decertifying the check and invalidating the Letter of Authenticity he had given. For some reason he now stated the Babe Ruth signature on the back of the check was not authentic. This is from information the seller added to the auction after a quite a few people bid on it.

Now keep in mind, the check was reviewed in person by JSA, so they did examine it thoroughly and certified it as a genuine Babe Ruth signature, in their opinion. But later on, JSA stated the signature was not authentic and invalidated the original Letter of Authenticity that they issued.

Maybe it is authentic one day, and maybe it isn't the next. We really don't know.

I have seen a number of these checks over the years, and to my knowledge these are authentic. I have seen these checks in Heritage Auctions, and other places. Spence thought these checks were authentic too. Why that changed, I have no idea.
I wonder they then issued a letter of inauthencity.... heh.

Ricky Y