View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanvintagecards View Post
Point number 1 I fully agree with you. I contacted PSA who said that I could send it in but they doubted they would be able to authenticate it since they had never seen one and had nothing to go off of to authenticate it.
That proces also would have taken 3-4 months and probably resulted in the dreaded N9. I do have a couple more of the 1978 Crack packs that I might send to PWCC or Probstein to give the pack a little more legitimacy or send one in to PSA and see if they will grade it.

As to your point number 2 I would argue it is his rookie card. Can a disc really be considered a rookie card? I am sure there are some people that absolutely do think it is his rookie, like yourself, and there are some that think a rookie card has to be a basic card, not a disc, like myself. If you look at what the 1977 disc and the 1978 Crack rookie sell for in similar grades they are right on par with each other, so it does show that the collectors are torn on what is his true rookie. I will never consider a disc a rookie, just like I would never consider a cut out picture that was never meant to be cut out as a rookie (looking at you 1960 Hemmets Journal Cassius Clay) but please dont get me started down the Muhammad Ali rookie debate road because it really gets me annoyed that anyone could consider the Hemmets Journal a card. I actually wrote a long post on what is Muhammad Alis rookie card in the boxing forum a few years ago, breaking down the multiple options different people conaider his rookie and why. I do respect your opinion that the 1977 Maradona disc is a rookie but that doesnt mean that everyone sees it that way.
Hey, welcome to this (sub) forum.

I think any Maradona issue prior to 1980 can be considered a RC. A lot of futbol cards were issued in non-traditional formats (discs, stickers, stamps) so sticking to traditional “cards” would exclude a lot of items and I personally see no reason to do that.

Previously, the 1979 Panini Sticker was considered his “true” RC, then the 1978 Campeanato, and now the 1977 Futbol. Lately, the 1977 Futbol has been selling for the most and I expect that trend to continue.

Aesthetically, I like the 1977 best but I wouldn’t fault anyone for preferring any other 70’s issue and/or considering it a RC for various reasons (like distribution). Maradona also has a few other cards from the late 70’s that depict him with Argentinos Juniors and maybe those will end up gaining traction. The soccer card market is still in its infancy.

As far as posting images, I recommend using Flickr.