View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

I am a set & player collector, my upgrading really depends on the set-

On a few tough sets like 1926 and 1933 Exhibts I am just happy to get a card in any grade, I like to upgrade but only if the price is right or my first card is really bad. Now I will pay up for a mid grade if its a card I need.

On other more common sets like 1934-37 Exhibits, I am trying to get them all in the VG range, in these cases many times I will sell any high grades ones I get and downgrade. I also make a point of upgrading any P-G cards.

On a newer set like 1947-66 Exhibits, I am working to get the set in EX-MT, I have sold off lots of cards in the NM+ range and upgrade my lower conditions but I watch the cost a lot. I do not see much value in upgrading a card from a PSA 5 to a 6 but I would pay up to go from a PSA 3 to a 6.

On my Clemente cards, I really like to get a nice solid example but any top graded cards I get I would rather sell/trade to the top two Clemente collectors for other Clemente cards I need. I get so much more satisifaction at just getting a card I need or discovering a new card vs upgrading.

I do not have a set that I am trying to get in top condition (nothing above ex-mt other than Clementes), It is just not my cup of tea, I would rather save that money for other cards I want.