View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Bill Gregory

Default It's the most wonderful time of the year. REA auction time!

Unlike Santa Claus, who often brings things like ties, socks, and underwear, mailmen and women across America will soon be lugging the latest behemoth 6 lb REA catalog to deliver to good boys and girls in the hobby. Until that glorious day when my mailman is seen struggling up the driveway with my catalog in tow, I will be sitting like Pavlov's dog looking out the window, waiting ever so patiently.

As this is the first auction I will be participating in--anywhere, I am very excited. I certainly cannot hang with the big boys when it comes to buying power (no Cracker Jack Lajoies or Babe Ruth M101-5s for me), but I am hoping to see a nice mid range T206 Walter Johnson portrait to make a play for. Maybe if I get a little crazy, I'll look at a something like an E121 American Caramel Tris Speaker!

But I don't honestly know what I am more excited by: the prospect of knocking off one or two cards from my pre-war & vintage want list, or getting the actual catalog itself. Nearly four months after their last auction ended, I still look at their spring catalog daily. For somebody wanting to learn everything there is to know about the early years of baseball cards, it's a veritable treasure trove of knowledge (and eye candy).

So, I am starting the discussion this year about REA's auction for multiple reasons. First of all though, let me say I am in no way affiliated with Robert Edwards Auctions. I am just a collector looking to establish a humble collection that I can love the rest of my (hopefully long) life.

Ok, so the reasons for the thread. Our veteran members know all too well the euphoria that comes with first cracking open a freshly-minted REA catalog. I imagine wives across America mumbling under their breath as their hubbies ensconce themselves in the bathroom, giggling like a little kid with each page turn. But some of our newer members might not know about REA, and they may have never seen their catalog. So, I want to make our new members aware of the catalog and auction. They are very well done, and if you are new to this niche of the baseball card hobby, you would be wise to order one. Their catalog will have beautiful pictures of the items for sale, and provide fascinating information about the provenance of the pieces. REA makes their catalog available completely free of charge to anybody that asks for it. All one has to do is go to their website, and fill out a simple form, or call them:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the home page, and click on the link to request one.

I have not yet done business with REA, but I am impressed nonetheless by their customer service. I inquired one morning if they were holding a second auction this fall, and within a few hours, I had confirmation back from REA's Auction Director, Dean Faragi. And when I registered for bidding rights, their approval came quickly. Their website is easy to navigate (and as an amateur web designer on the side, I appreciate the ease of finding exactly what I am looking for.) None of these things on their own would be a big deal, but I appreciate their attention to detail, and taken as a whole, I am very impressed by what I have seen thus far.

Second, I would like to know when people start receiving their catalogs. This past spring, one gleeful member after another would report in when their catalog arrived. So, when they start showing up, please let the rest of us know.

Thirdly, I would love to see what everybody won after the auction has closed, and I am hoping to see lots of scans and photos here in early November.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.