View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
I wish I knew more about this "VET" mark. I've seen it on 1970s-era pennants--typically on white pennants. Sure looks like a maker's mark ... or, a concessionaire's mark.

I guess it could refer to Veteran's Stadium. But, why would it?? The Phillies certainly didn't manufacture their own pennants. And the presence of the league logo indicates that these were officially licensed by MLB. By the 1970s, only Trench, ASCO, and a company out of Brooklyn called APSCO enjoyed such rights.

A concessionaire's mark seems more likely; but, at the time, the biggest concessionaire was Aramark, conveniently headquartered in--you guessed it--Philadelphia. And their concessionaire's mark looked nothing like this. (It's a circle with "ARA" inside it.) I can't imagine anyone else running concessions at Veteran's Stadium than Aramark. Nor can I think of any other concessionaire that started with a "V."

Also, if "VET" signified some connection to the stadium you'd expect the majority of these pennants to be Phillies (or Eagles) pennants. I can't say I've ever seen one.

And if we're thinking the Phillies sold these non-Phillies pennants whenever these visiting teams came to town, how do we explain why a Texas Rangers pennant was ever sold at Veteran's Stadium?

I'm stumped. If I had to guess, I'd guess Trench made these for some retailer none of us are thinking of, like a now defunct sporting goods store/chain starting with a "V."
I had many of Kyle's same thoughts when the Veteran's Stadium theory was posted. I could definitely "see" that explanation if the "VET" was stamped on, like with an ink stamp. If that was the case, I could see someone at the stadium stamping the pennants. But it appears to be screened on with the rest of the graphics. In this case, I can't really see the manufacturer setting up a separate silk screen just for Veterans Stadium. Then again, like Mark, I don't have this particular pennant without the stamp. Mine has four, indecipherable numbers after the "Made in U,S.A."

Here's a couple more similar 1970's pennants with different marks. I think the one is Trench; no idea on the "M" (complete with dog hair).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-12-08 02.13.39.jpg (74.8 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-08 02.13.04.jpg (76.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-08 02.12.38.jpg (77.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-12-08 02.14.11.jpg (76.7 KB, 221 views)