View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

I don’t think they used the Bum for more than a year or two after departing Brooklyn. I guess he just didn’t catch on with all the glitz and glimmer of LA. But I’ve always thought this Pennant is one of the very best, in terms of its aesthetics and telling a story.
Mark, those are great pennants. O'Malley wanted to distance the team from any connection to the old lovable Bums of Brooklyn, the name resulting from them always losing the WS up until 1955. He felt the move to LA needed to be focused on a successful team if they were going to have any chance of surviving here. Most people don't realize that the move wasn't popular to a lot of folks in LA, and a public referendum allowing Chavez Ravine to be swapped to O'Malley so he could build the new stadium was nearly defeated. So the Bum had to go, and the Dodgers had to be identified as winners. Kind of surprising the Bum resurfaced in 1963 on a pennant. I've seen that pennant, never noticed that it has the Sportsservice symbol on it.

Related to your post, I recently picked up the pennant below. I remember prior posts about how the same artwork was used for many different teams, just the names and colors were changed. Does anyone know if the little guy throwing the ball on this pennant was used for other teams (of course with a different logo on the hat)?

Rick

IMG_1576.jpg