View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default Who would you pick?

Hey all,

So, I had a random question that I thought might make for a nice thread. Or, maybe I'm just pretty curious to hear what people think, especially since everyone here is so knowledgeable and passionate about the game.

For whatever reason, I have a weird, borderline unhealthy fascination with the 1936 Yankees and Giants. It might have something to do with the fact that that World Series (as well as that from the following year) was one which my grandfather could have conceivably been to. He grew up a Giants fan, and certainly got to see plenty games at the Polo Grounds during the 1910s and 1920s. Since he passed when I was still pretty young, I never got to talk baseball with him, but I can only imagine that his memories of those late 1930s teams are pretty vivid. So, in my head, it's easy to think about him at the Polo Grounds watching the two teams duke it out during the Fall Classic. I guess I think of it as a connection to someone in my family that I never got to experience.

Or, maybe it's because there's that wonderful full-game radio broadcast of Game 3 at the Stadium, with Tom Manning, Ty Tyson and Red Barber that I've had since I was a teenager. Barber worked his innings brilliantly and was really able to paint a picture of Yankee Stadium for me. I loved hearing him talk about Red Rolfe catching a popup behind third base and having to shake his head to ring tears out of his eyes from the glare. And, of course, the whistling of the elevated train in right field? I mean, radio just isn't like that anymore.

Perhaps it's just the fact that each team sported so many amazing Hall of Famers? DiMaggio. Gehrig. Lazzeri. Dickey. Ruffing. Gomez. Ott. Terry. Hubbell. Jackson. Not bad, I suppose.

Either way, one of my lifetime projects is to do single portraits of each member of both teams, all of which would be the same size (16" x 20") and ideally, hang in the same space. Where I'll have room for it, I have NO clue. But yeah, I'd love each image to come from the same year (if not period), with each player being in their home whites (or, creams as it were). If I ever get some disposable income (or better yet, a LOT of disposable income), I'd love to get cuts of each member too, probably to create some sort of monstrous display.

So, if money and time were no option for you guys, which team(s) would you like to build the ultimate collection of? And, more importantly, is there a specific reason why? Do you have some kind of connection with the team(s)? Bear in mind, the collection could be comprised of photos, autos, memorabilia, cards, paintings, books, or any kind of combination.

Fun, fun (hopefully)!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-16-2011 at 08:05 AM.