View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
pretty sure copied from some other image - NOT A PACK. It actually looks a little familiar.....
Interesting Henry, Jim and I thought it was front, side, and back to a shell that was unfolded. Would love to know it's origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
You suggest option two: GQ-t2 no card - however the likeness of the design of the card to the pack suggest they were related therefore packaged together. They were printed at the same time for the same reason. You can't prove a negative - so why not consider option 3?

In my belief of option 1 or option 3 I show images of the GQ and OJ packs as sources of the N162 on my website. What must I do???
The N162 cards are pretty but not sure why you suggest they are styled in the same format as the ornate GQ pack. They don't share colors, fonts, or style that I notice. To me, the facts are that the pack we know from 1887 and 1889 would be the pack that was used to distribute N162 cards in 1888 (the plain appearing pack). By your reasoning, did they also have an ornate OJ pack for N162 distribution?

Quote:
As for the A&G - not scientific, can't set your watch by my dates, the year is as close as I could determine.
You provided pretty specific dates on your website as follows which we now know to be in error.

Quote:
The Allen & Ginter Company, who had been producing advertising cards, made a promotional decision in the spring of 1888 to produce and insert the N28 lithograph cards of World Champions into their Richmond brand 10-cigarette packs. Later in 1888 the N29, a second series, succeeded the N28 . . .
Your spring of 1888 timing for N28 should retreat to fall of 1888 and your N29 date should get bumped to 1889, August of 1889 was start of distribution. The cards were also inserted in packs of Virginia Brights. For the VB packs, The "Crop of 1885" is correct for N28, the "Crop of 1886" is correct for N29. As I mentioned earlier, I will post details in another thread that repeats what I've published in OC and on this forum previously but with more details and evidence.

Here is an 1888 VB pack (A&G used ~3 year old tobacco). VB packs are easier to come by than many others and consistently have dated over-prints on the tax stamp to allow accurate dating of the pack. I have three 1888 VB packs dating from Feb. 28th to Dec. 18th, 1888 and all are "Crop of 1885".

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers