View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Cesar and Matt, I hear you and do the same thing. My sets are a mix of raw and graded. Most of my stars are graded. I even have some graded commons. I didn't plan on graded commons, but I got some deals along the way. Sometimes I look at a card and think it could stand to be improved but it's usually a common or not a key card, and there's no point. I am not trying to impress anyone and few others will ever even see my cards. Most of my collection is middle of the road mid-grade which is free of creases. There are exceptions. My Aaron is a 3. It has a little minor creasing near the top of the card and corner wear. If I wasn't so lazy, I would scan some pics. My Banks and Kaline are crease-free 4s. They give me a very presentable set. I could upgrade some or all of them, but I like them and would rather spend the money moving on to 1955 and my football exploits.

Matt, I have seen your set progress, and it is impressive! You have to do what makes you happy. I could be very content with your Big 3. There was a time when I thought I had to have 6s or better. Now I don't. Good luck with whatever you opt to do. It will be terrific either way!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I put my 54 set together over time. I have this thing about fake cards so I really try to buy graded high priced stars. I don't want to get disappointed some day in that area and to be consistent I try to go with Psa only. Took me a while to find a decent aaron but I bought a 3.5 about 6 months ago and a 2 banks that's nicer than that. The commons are out there if your patient. I am a set collector although a do collect subsets, in particular the 66 high numbers of which I have 3 sets and continue to upgrade. So I have always been a set collector over a sub set or stars. Recently I was in the market for a 63 rose and debated buying a raw one from a reputable dealer, but in the end just couldn't bite. In part due to the debated over grade of the card when/if I went to sell it. so I bought a 5.5 and am happy with it. Same with my 67 seaver/carew/ b roby, and a lot of my 57,58,59 and 62's. Interested here folks opinion on trusting raw major star cards v graded as started above. Cheers bill