View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTysver View Post
Liberating indeed. I build sets by buying lots and filling in when it is needed. Because I buy lots, I also build second sets which are lower grade. These are extremely liberating. I can buy an Aaron for $10 and a Mantle for $45 and knock the set off. I can take my main set, upgrade as I see fit and move those cards to my second set. If I wanted to liquidate, I can hold onto the second set and get money for the first set. I can buy a filler for the main set and wait until I upgrade it to move it to my second set.
The second sets have been more fun as the purpose is just to seek the card and not the condition. It is really why we collect.
You know that 2nd set in lower grade is a great thing Jay! A Mantle for $45 is just so much fun to pick up. When I was building my wantlist I would wait until I had the Mantle (for $45 - 60) and then I would list the set. That way I knocked off the biggie right away. The condition is unimportant to me. I just want one of every card in the set. I'm glad to hear you Robert in feeling liberated by not obsessing over the grade. And I'm a bit partial to the 54 set as that's my favorite. And Matt, I've been following your progress in the PSA 7's as well and think they are great. Nice job so far man. What a set!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here