View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Al

Try as I might, I have not been able to develop any remote desire to collect what most of you guys do. I've looked and looked and have been impressed with scans of cards from "way back when", but still no bells go off for me. I have no connection to the player or players and I find the cost of anything north of a PSA 4 in many cases is out of my league. I do however enjoy the posts by everyone (except for the whiny crap) and have learned a lot by just reading.

I have my little 55 Topps collection (13th on the Registry) and a ton of Red Sox cards that give me pleasure and that's where I focus my interest and $$. I also think in some strange way I'm trying to relive those magical days when my dad would take me to Fenway in the early 50s. Dad is long gone, but the memories endure, perhaps that's why the 55 Topps set really grabbed me...relatively easy to collect, only 206 cards and when displayed in a case (I built one) that is attached to a wall in my "man cave", I can easily glance over and relive having seen almost all of them play in Fenway. I watch every Red Sox game via Directv on my 50" HD plasma, which brings an incredible picture. When every game begins I always look to deep center field right next to the 420' sign, very close to the Red Sox bullpen, this is where I was many, many times as a kid. It just has wonderful memories for me. That is my connection to the game and collecting. A zillion packs of 55 Topps with that big slab of pink gum went through my fingers...even the girls would give me their cards, they just wanted the gum. OH but OHHHH to know then what I know now!!! I'd be living far, far from Atlanta, like Tahiti!

I realize the rarity of the earlier cards, but I just can't warm up to them. Undoubtedly those earlier cards give much pleasure to those of you who collect them. I stay busy and happy doing my little Red Sox thing.

GL to all in your collecting endeavors.