View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default John Holway comments on new Negro League HOFers

Posted By: Paul

SCD has published an interview with Negro League historian John Holway about the 17 newly elected HOFers. I know Holway is a famous Negro League historian. I assume he is also a respected Negro League historian, but honestly don't know. Anyhow, here is what he had to say.

He agreed with the selections of Ray Brown, Willard Brown, Andy Cooper, Jud Wilson, Mule Suttles, Torriente, Mackey, Sol White, and JL Wilkinson. He seemed to be particularly impressed with Ray Brown and Andy Cooper (to my surprise). He felt Louis Santop and Effa Manley were borderline candidates. He felt that Jose Mendez did not belong. He also felt Alex Pompez and Ben Taylor did not belong. Most interesting to me for selfish reasons, he felt that Pete Hill didn't belong. He said he had a great reputation but "his statistics don't justify his reputation. I get him hitting .276 lifetime."

He thought John Beckwith and William Bell probably should have made it, and also said nice things about George Scales, Bill Byrd, Dick Lundy, Nip Winters, and Gus Greenly.

I guess Matt will be thankful Holway wasn't on the committee.