View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Set collecting is losing popularity outside of the t206 set. The hobby has shifted towards rookie cards and superstar cards. Buying up a 1952 high number common is not a money maker. He is causing a few people to over pay, but in the end his beneficiaries will end up with a bunch of cards that will sell for a fraction of he paid for them.
IMO, there is indeed an increase in popularity with RC and star cards.

However, set collecting does not appear to be losing popularity with collectors. There are several complete sets on the registry I used to be ranked solidly in the top 20, now I am ranked in the 30s-40s for the active sets( I have not gone back and done any updating). This has happened in the past 2-3 years.

A prominent advertiser on this board auctions off 20K singles a week, 15k+ are commons....if set builders aren't buying all of these commons, I don't know who is.

If building the 52 set is losing popularity, the prices are not indicative of this. While I am 29 HI #s short of completion now, in Jan 2016 I was 40% complete and had an ATF rank of 120. Now a similar set has an ATF rank near 140. That means over the past 2.5 years, nearly 20 additional 52 sets have surpassed the point I was at in Jan 2016.

Ironically, fwiw, some years ago I picked up a psa 5 332 card for less than $150.