View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 06:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the explanation for others (I didn't need one). You are doing fine. Keep doing what you are doing. Many, if not most of us, buy and sell to support our habit collection. ALL of us who have been doing this long enough have bought/traded for a fake/altered card or memorabilia before. It's part of how we learn. And if anyone hasn't, then they haven't bought and sold enough for long enough....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I am a new collector to vintage cards and pins etc. I have had memorabilia my whole life and collected new sports cards. I believe I stated elsewhere on this forum that my intention with these pins was to buy these and sell them all except for the Jackies. I was hoping to get the Jackies for free by doing this. I am a huge jackie collector, and paid about 900 dollars for the jackie pins and 3200 for the lot total. So I was hoping I could make a 20-25% profit by doing this and get my Jackies for free. I have lived on this site the past few weeks reading thread after thread to gain as much knowledge as possible. I am looking to get grounded here and trying to absorb all the knowledge I can. I am sorry if it came off that way as it definitely is not my intention. I LOVE buying and selling so please don't get me wrong, but before everything else I have a die hard passion for collecting. Brooklyn Dodgers and Yankees vintage especially. I hate that it looks the way you are saying because that is totally not me. Just alone this past month for my own collection I purchased:

1949 Bowman PSA 7 Jackie Robinson
1956 Topps PSA 7 Jackie Robinson
1940 Play Ball PSA 4.5 Joe Jackson
1958 Topps All-Stars PSA 7 Mickey Mantle
1934 Quaker Oats pin PSA 8 Babe Ruth
B18 Blanket Joe Jackson
Ferguson Bakery Pennant Joe Jackson
Assorted Jackie Pins

The ONLY stuff I attempted to sell on here was my vintage memorabilia I have had already from prior collecting, my SGC Christy Mathewson which I bought for resale as well as my Joe D Leaf PSA 3 which I also bought for resale and my walter johnson B18 Blanket. I believe all my threads will back me up. If you read my posts you can tell I'm still very green with the vintage card collecting which is why I ask.

I was wrong on the hank aaron rookie (FAKE), ted williams leaf card (FAKE), and a ungraded ty cobb red portrait (altered) and mantle 60 topps (NM but graded 5). I have been able to get my money back BUT lesson learned to stay away from raw cards like you guys have been saying.

I have read posts on pins here, bond bread cards, bobble heads, grading companies etc etc and it has been MORE than helpful... but please do not make me look like something I am not. I am a young guy just learning and also trying to make a buck in the process to support my family.

Hope this clarifies everything.