View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Hello all, I just joined Net54 a few weeks ago seeking more information about vintage pennants. It's been a pleasure reading through 144 pages of informative postings dating back to 2014. I thought I knew everything ... but you all enlightened me on some pretty important findings. So, thank you.

Years ago I made the same observation RLevy just did regarding these two 1963 WS pennants. I own the "1 96 3" variation, and I am confident it's genuine. (It passed the smell test.) That said, for a 50+ year old pennant, I am always amazed at how this pennant is seemingly always being sold in mint or near mint condition.

Then I noticed the second variation's existence. It too is always in remarkable condition.

Naturally, I wondered if one or both were reproductions; but, found nothing that proved this for either variant.

Then I saw Duluth Eskimo's 2014 posting wherein he commented on a "warehouse find" in Los Angeles and then implied that a certain 1963 World Series pennant may have come out of a similar discovery.

Can anyone speak to either pennant's authenticity? Or, as to why such a minor variation might have been made for an event-specific pennant that seemingly wouldn't be sold anytime other than during/at the World Series?

I cannot answer your question with any certainty, but can report that the pennant shown here was purchased from a vendor outside of Comiskey Park in 1965 when the Yankees were in town. I would have to say it is original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2498.jpg (87.1 KB, 233 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown