View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Lewis Jones

Lou,

Based on the info you provided with his name Lewis (Lunis) Jones was born in Iowa in 1864. That would make him 46 years old at the time of the post cards, writing to a 22 year old Flossie. Whoa! In his defense, he was a widower and probably very lonely. In 1910 he appeared on the census in South Dakota as a laborer who was working at a brickyard. He was rooming with about ten other guys at the time. Based on the info shown on the census report I uncovered that his actual name is Grant Lewis Jones. This would explain why he ended most of his post cards with G.L. I wrongly assumed he was ending them J.L. (possibly for Jones Lewis). Grant Lewis Jones married Carrie Elizabeth Jones in 1879 in Iowa where they lived and were born. He was 38 at the time, she was 23. Seems he was into younger ladies. He also appeared as a laborer in the 1900 census and showed that they had been married for 3 years at that time. So, sometime between 1900-1909 his wife Carrie died and he hit the road for work. There isn't, however, any records of a death certificate for Carrie and I haven't been able to discover her maiden name. It appears that he and Carrie didn't have any kids but still not sure. If they did, he didn't take them with him on his travels looking for work. Still trying to find out what happened to him after 1910. He never went back to Iowa so I'm left to assume he kept moving around. If he remarried later it's possible he had kids later in life. We'll see....