View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
John

Thanks Dave - nice catch. A while back, on the CU board - set registry discussion - someone was pretty adamant that Halas did't belong in the HOF player registry set (52 Bowman card, I think). And I replied, well... "he's on the All-Decade Team, didn't seem like a stretch to me....". Since then though, I did read where someone (blog? - don't have the source now) went through some of the all-decade team selections and pointed out some flaws - the argument was that the early teams especially were made long after the fact by people who weren't necessarily experts on the era. It was a good argument in my opinion. Finally, in one of the interview books I've read (they start to blend together I think I read 4 - Chris Willis wrote one, Myron Cope, Richard Wittingham, and Bob Curran) an interviewee mentioned Halas was just an average player.... Of course that means nothing by itself - from time to time I've picked up on an undertone of dislike, backhanded complements, etc. in these books. People are human and are going to have opinions and biases, etc. I tend to look for corroboration and I don't recall reading much about Halas as a player.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 09-02-2015 at 10:22 AM.