Thread: DH to the NL??
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I'm more of a fan of consistency I guess than one league versus another. It makes no sense to have the two leagues playing the same game under a different set of rules. Maybe my example isn't the best or most plausible, but my point is that the game changes and I don't see any reason to NOT change just because something was a certain way 100 years ago. If the NL institues the DH, I'll be OK missing out on Madison Bumgarner "raking." The idea that Mad-Bum's .183 career average makes him more of a "ballplayer" than any pitcher in the AL over the last 4 decades is exactly the type of antiquated thinking that prevents changes from being made, in any walk of life. The game is going to change, just like anything, and I see no need to resist it just because it's not the same old thing I'm used to.
I'm a fan of change, but it's got to be good change. I think the AL DH rule took something away from the game, and don't think having an extra hitter in the lineup necessarily makes the game better or more exciting. As Packs says, it's also fun to see a pitcher hit a bomb... or get a crucial hit. It's fun to see the unexpected.

And trust me, anyone who's watched the Giants regularly over the past two years knows Bum rakes. We always knew he had power, maybe more than anyone on the roster, but it took him a few years to catch up with MLB pitching. Now that he has, he's become a legitimate threat like Zambrano, Ankiel, Hampton, Drysdale, Spahn, Ferrell before him. Very honestly, he is my favorite Giant to watch hit. He always swings from the heals (part of what's fun to watch) and does strike out at an incredible rate, but also routinely gets big run producing hits, and has 9 HRs over the past two years. He's also able to bunt when needed, and even his strikeouts are entertaining because you see how much passion he takes to the plate. I wish all NL pitchers took hitting as seriously. Would I get tired of an everyday player striking out 200+ times a year, yes... but I'll gladly take three big swinging Bum ABs every 5 days.

I also have no problem seeing the game played by two sets of rules, especially since the AL DH is not going away. I think it adds to the charm of the WS, and frankly the WS needs any additional allure it can drum up since much of the novelty of "NL vs AL" disappeared in 1997 with the advent of interleague. Consistency can be a good thing, but isn't this game about its asymmetry as well? Weird ivy covered walls and Green Monsters? If it need be totally consistent, I guess we better standardize foul territory and make all fences 335' down the lines, 385' to the allies and 400' to center.

Baseball has quirks and I'm fine with that. I am not opposed to change (happy to see drug testing, MLB's attempt to promote as a world game, even OK seeing home plate collisions phased out) but totally prefer keeping this as is.