View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default What is next in 21st century card collecting

Posted By: Mike

I am uncertain as to what can be construed as a dinosaur. I'm 53. My wifes 100 year old grandmother, who recently passed away, thought I was a kid. Many of the cards I bought raw in the early 90's have since been deemed to be trimmed. Upon closer inspection, they were. One world series ticket from 1931, was repaired. Upon closer inspection, it was. I bought these when I was much younger and inexperienced. Several fairly high priced cards, were bought at the Chicago national, back in the early to mid ninties. Forget the exact year. "ALL" were bought from dealers who we all know by name, and personally. And are still around. I still have the receipts from these purchases. I will never know if they knew the items were tampered with. Maybe they did it themselves. Who knows. I chose not to pursure them, because I bought them in the ninties, and found out they were damaged, in 2003 or so. I submitted them to different graders and got the same results. How should I feel about this? I am not sure myself. Some would say I was scammed, others will say, it shouldn't matter, that I should love the cards regardless. That I should love the hobby, and cards enough to over look the tampering. Some will say I should have known better. Maybe. It is a debate that can be argued until the end of time. I slab them now, mostly for protection, so that i can take them places, and display, and show them to people. I have been in the hobby long enough, where I virtually always know the grade on a raw card if I buy it. I don't need anothers opinion as to the grade. I don't hate slabs, and I don't love slabs. They do however serve a purpose for me. I can always take them out if I like. It's not like they are prisoners for ever. Some will say I am a moron for slabbing them. Ask me if I care?