View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default What is next in 21st century card collecting

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Golly....

At least it is a thread that isn't about soap opera stuff...

Although some won't believe it, my intent was NOT to malign folks who collect graded cards. It seems that some guys, perceiving my thoughts on grading, think that anytime I mention grading or slabbing that it is a slam on everyone who has a graded card. That's not what I said up there.

My post was about what is next, from the perspective of seeing a guy ask about "which spreadsheet software" only to be told about some cardpricerdotcompaysomuchamonth thing, that I don't understand (and am content with remaining ignorant about it). The guy's question was about software, and out comes a sales pitch.

Seeing that folks are subscribing to such services, I do wonder what is next. And I still do.

I love analogies. I use them to often myself in explaining matters. But actually, nothing is like anything else.

I once bought a car sight unseen, not knowing a color, make, model... nothing at all. My good car was in the shop, I'd wrecked it, my junker car was struggling, and my Dad, a car dealer, told me as I was walking through the showroom with parts for my struggler, that he had a car he thought would be good for me. I slowed stride and asked how much, he told me, and I said I'd buy it as I walked back into the shop. He prepared the paperwork and brought it to me, I walked it over to the clerk's office to transfer title (about a block, small town), and returned with the car in my name. He handed me keys as I returned, I then asked what it was and where it was. It was a green Dodge Charger SE, I think it was a 1974 model. 318 V8. My grandfather was a car dealer, too. And great granddad, too. His cars came crated, and he had to assemble them upon arriving by rail. Wooden spoked wheels... Grand Dad and Dad sold Buicks and Dodges.

Most folks wouldn't buy a car like that. I've bought baseball cards like that... Sent money without seeing the cards. But I knew who I was dealing with, and knew I could get deals undone if I so desired. I agree that 3rd party grading helps sell cards on eBay when a buyer doesn't know the seller.

My post was a bit of a slam at these dotcomcardvalueguys. And it was designed to have an "on topic" post that would get some fired up responses, following Leon's post about "off topic" posts.

So really, guys. What is next?